Posted by StudioDAWg on Apr 3, 2013

DIY Sound Absorption Panels

Want to make your home studio sound better? Sound absorption panels can make a HUGE difference if done right. This posts focuses on treating your studio by making your own DIY Sound Absorption Panels.

I’ll post another video on installing sound panels, how many, where, etc. And give you a listen to the BEFORE and AFTER sound within the studio.

Also look for a different post on making your own Bass Traps.

DIY Sound Absorption Panels

Coverage Material

Purchased 60″ x 40″ (or so) black “Broadcloth” from Hobby Lobby

$2.99 / yard MINUS the 40% coupon you can print online here

Sound Absorption Panel Material

Click to Enlarge

Sound Absorption Panels

12 Responses to “DIY Sound Absorption Panels”

1. Jon says:

Awesome video! Thanks for putting this together. It’s exactly what I was looking for to make my own. Especially thanks for making all the ingredients so clear and easy to pull together.
    Thank you thank you!!!

2. Looking to do my studio with panels. Can you cut the rockboard in half to get 24″ squares? I would Ike to do 4 squares and 4 large panels instead of six large ones.

What are your thoughts on this option? Can you cut that rockboard successfully?

• StudioDAWg says:

Rockboard will be your best option in trying to cut them since it’s harder than the others and will crumble less. It should work if you have a very sharp saw to cut it. You’ll create some chunks and insulation dust, but the 2 pieces should be still solid. Good luck!

3. Couple of questions:

1. Would you advise against mixing Pine and Poplar for the frame? I can find some Pine sizes, but not all. I’m trying to be as cost efficient as necessary.
    2. Is it necessary to put fabric on the backside of the panel since it’s never seen?

• StudioDAWg says:

Well…as long as the sizes are the same it should be fine to mix wood. And as far as the back of them you really only need the fabric to keep insulation dust from falling out the back over time. If you’re not concerned with that you’re find to leave it open.

4. vondoom88 says:

I’m very interested in this project although I’ll be treating my HT room with them. I’m about using these as bass traps? Glad I found your video on youtube! Thanks!

• vondoom88 says:

I should clarify I’ll be making several panels to tame reflections etc. But I also need some bass traps thinking of doubling up the roxul so it’s 4″ thick and corner mounting some frames to help tame the low end.

• StudioDAWg says:

Well-glad you brought that up! I haven’t posted the other video yet, but I built 2 tall bass traps exactly by doubling up the RockBoard and making them thick for bass and putting them in the corner. Worked perfectly. :)
        Thanks for commenting!

5. Charlie Lockhart says:

I’ve completed everything for 4 panels except stapling on the fabric. What size staples do you recommend and how far apart do you place them? I ask because I want to be as efficient as possible without spacing them too far apart, while allowing room to staple on the front fabric in between the staples holding the back fabric.

• StudioDAWg says:

When applying the back fabric I kept the staples about 12″ apart. That gives plenty of room to staple the front fabric around it without hitting the previous ones. Should not be a problem. The corners will require closer staples and more care, but it works. The front fabric staples I did around 10″ apart, maybe a little closer when needed.

I used a standard craft-style staple gun with 1/2″ staples, but had to lightly hammer the staples in flush after shooting them so they didn’t stick out.

And make sure you’re pulling the fabric very tight when you staple it. Makes for a very smooth cover when it’s tight and looks really good.

• Charlie Lockhart says:

Perfect explanation. I have 9/16″ staples which should probably work just fine since I’ll be hammering them in a little anyway. Thank you so much for the time you took to document and explain your process and materials, down to the Hobby Lobby coupon. This is saving me so much money. Can’t wait to finish mine up this weekend.